Saturday, May 26, 2012

Feather Plume with a Spine

Way back in February this year, Diane Gaudynski gave a tutorial at Sewcalgal's website.  She gave incredibly detailed instructions about how to form a free-motion plume with a spine.  I entered my small sample that is based on her tutorial in the local quilt show.  Although it didn't get a ribbon, it did get attention from other quilters.  I hope to tackle another whole-cloth quilt like this in a larger format with more elements.  I really liked using the silk thread on the blue portion of this piece.  Here are some close up pictures.  Enlarge them even more by clicking on them.  Can you tell that the brown quilting isn't silk?  I sure could when I was working with it.
The background quilting really does give it a sense of movement.  I named it "Grow" since that is my mission this year with free-motion quilting.  In June, Cindy Needham will be the tutor at the challenge hosted by Sewcalgal.  I'm really looking forward to her lessons as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment