Saturday, March 10, 2012

A Little More Free Motion Quilting

These sample blocks are providing lots of opportunities to try different stitches.  Here are a couple photos of two of the blocks that are finished.


This block is framed by the same feather design that I have used throughout and free-motion stitched in the ditch.  I usually use a walking foot to do straight stitches but decided that I needed to get comfortable moving side to side and diagonally when ditch quilting.  Moving diagonally was especially difficult. 


Here's a back view of the SID work as well as the back of the cornerstone block next to the pineapple block.

This bow tie block is also framed by the feathers.  I quilted the small feather motifs in the background and stitched in the ditch to move from background space to background space.

The bow ties needed something too, so I made loops within each.

I like how the back of this block looks.

It's becoming much less stressful to do free motion work and I'm finding I'm not fighting the bulk of the quilt like I did in the past.  I'm learning to bunch it up around the needle much more. 

Two more blocks to tackle, then the outside border.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, your free motion quilting is fabulous! The sample block is beautiful as well. Good job, very well done.

    ReplyDelete