Sunday, February 19, 2012

Not Quite a Whole Cloth Quilt

I decided to add borders to this little feathered practice piece.  I had puposefully used a large piece of batting just in case I wanted to add to this quilting motif.  Maybe the free-motion quilting tutorial for March, hosted by SewCalGal, will have to do with border quilting.  I can always hope.

First I added the side pieces for the back and the front, right sides together, with the batting in between.  Then I opened out the borders and pressed them.  After sewing on the first section, I measured carefully to be sure the stitching line for the opposite border was exactly parallel.  I then needed to be sure the top and bottom borders were perpendicular to the side borders, so I drew a stitching line and a placement line with a chalk pencil.

I placed the pins horizontally first so that I could establish where to place the back bottom border.  I used the back of the pins as a placement guide. 

The picture above shows the back strip appearing at the edge.  This extra length really made it easier to be sure the back and front lined up.  I then repinned for sewing and double checked the back.  After sewing each seam, I folded back all sections and trimmed the seam to 1/4 inch, much like paper piecing.

I'm not sure how wide I want the borders to be yet, so I've gone a little over.  I'll probably trim a couple inches off after the entire piece has been quilted.  Nice to have too much than too little.

So that's the start of my first almost whole cloth quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment