Saturday, January 28, 2012

All Over Quilting

I posted pictures of this quilt a while ago when I was pinning the three layers together, with the help of the cat.  I have trouble figuring out what kind of pattern to stitch to enhance blocks and am always fearful that I will stitch a design that ruins all the piecing work.  I seem to need to spend a lot of time just trying different ideas before I can commit to a pattern.

To create the design, I put an overhead transparency sheet over the block and tried drawing different pathways with washable markers.  I had to wipe the sheet clean and try again frequently, but finally came up with a design I could quilt without having to stop and start too often.  I did change thread for the coloured areas.

I used trilobal polyester thread.  This is the first time I have quilted with it.  It has a bit of a sheen and seems like a nice thread to use when you want your design to show.

I kind of like how the design turned out, but am really pleased with how it looks on the back  ... and we quilters always like to look at the back.

I just have a couple small areas to finish before adding the binding.  For now though, it remains another of my WIPs.

No comments:

Post a Comment