Monday, January 2, 2012

Happy New Year!

I've enjoyed reading blogs welcoming in the new year.  So many are featuring lists of UFOs and plans for finishing tops in 2012.  I'm relieved to see that I'm not the only quilter with so many unfinished projects.  I'm not getting anywhere near as much done as I once was.  I don't even have any excuses, other than work, cooking, cleaning, gardening :-)...  Okay, maybe this year I will start off strong.  I've made a list of my projects, many of which just need quilting and binding.  They're so close to being checked off the list already.  Here's a pic of a twisted log cabin block that I started with the local quilt guild.  It just needs a little more quilting and then the binding.

The cat is reminding me how sharp pins can be.  She approves of the job so far.

I'm not usually drawn to such bold colours.  I don't wash my fabric before piecing, so will see if the black runs into the lighter shades.

Here's a look at the whole top.  It's the size of a lap quilt.

I've quilted it and at this point there are only 16 pins left in.  I just need to play with design ideas first.  I'll take additional pictures when it's fully finished.  This quilt really helped me make headway.  I was getting so frustrated with shredding thread while quilting that I felt pretty discouraged.  I watched a video made by Barbara Shapel, who recommends using jeans denim needles.  I'm finding that these needles poke through multiple layers and intersections much more smoothly.  What a relief.  That too may lead to more finishes this year.  Thank you Barbara.

No comments:

Post a Comment