Thursday, August 23, 2012

Half-Square Triangles and Charm Squares

I probably should have titled this post Cheddar Blocks since I've decided to try making blocks with a gold/orange background.  Many blogs recently featured cheddar blocks and they began to grow on me.  It's possible to get 8 half-square triangles from 2 charm squares right sides together.  I drew diagonal lines, sewed 1/4 inch away from the lines on both sides, and cut along the lines as well as across, side to side.  Since these are so tiny, I pressed the seams open.  I also made 4 patches using 1 and 1/2 inch strips from the charm squares.

I tried two layouts and took pictures.  Sometimes it's easier to make choices when viewing the blocks on the computer rather than on the table.  I went with the light centers, but I really like both options.  I believe one of the names for this block is Jacob's ladder.
Dark centers.
Light centers.
I decided to go with the light centers.
Pressing with a clockwise swirl in the center.
These will be very tiny blocks.
I wanted the seams of my second block to nest with the first, so I thought carefully about pressing.  If I had just created the second one exactly the same as the first, everything would have worked perfectly because when it gets turned 90 degrees, the seams nest.  I stitched it in its turned orientation.  I had to take the whole block apart.  I left it until the next night and tried again.  I knew what I had to do, but I made the same mistake again.  I had to take it apart a second time.  I wasn't sure the tiny pieces would hold up, but they did and it's finally fixed.  This was supposed to be playtime.  That's what I get for trying to think after 9pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment